Do you get anxiety that slowly settles in when you accidentally leave the door open on a cold day?
For some, it’s painful to think about the precious heat that’s escaping from your home only to dissipate and disappear the moment it gets released into the atmosphere.
You’re not the only one who feels that way, it’s a universal feeling!
Well, there might be several things impacting the amount of heat you’re wasting, but none of them are necessarily your fault.
Your home’s insulation could be one of the contributing factors to wasted heat, and you could also need duct sealing in Fort Wayne, IN.
Or, you could just be dealing with an inefficient heating system that’s just not working the way it’s supposed to.
Regardless, it’s time to get to the bottom of it. We’re going to figure out today what’s ailing your heating system and get to work fixing things so you can get rid of that ambient anxiety and feel more comfortable in your own home!
5 Places to Check for Drafts
In order to understand the magnitude of your heat waste, we need to do a quick evaluation of your home. Here are five places you can start!
- Check your doors. Do your exterior doors let in a bit of a draft? This could be responsible for your high heating bills and the problems you’ve been encountering this winter. Exterior doors sometimes require extra insulation, like flaps for the bottoms or sides to ensure there’s a tight seal between your indoor air and outdoor air.
- Investigate the material of your windows. Do you have an older home with single-paned windows? This is bad news, since single-paned windows are the thinnest and least resistant windows to the ambient heat loss of a home. Double-paned windows are exceptionally good at trapping heat inside of your house, or air conditioning during the summer, so that your HVAC system doesn’t have to work so hard.
- Evaluate your ductwork. Air ducts are required for transporting your heated throughout the house. If there are drafts from the air ducts, then your HVAC system might be working hard to compensate for leaks or gaps.
- Take a peek at the attic. If your attic isn’t insulated, then heat could be lost through there. Remember, heat rises, and it could be rising into your attic and out an uninsulated roof or window.
- Are there any new additions? If you’ve recently added new finished spaces in your home, then your HVAC system might not be strong enough to handle the load anymore. Think about replacing it with a larger unit, or add a ductless mini split in the new finished areas of your home.
Seal Your Ducts Today!
If your ducts are in rough shape, we’d like to remind customers that we provide quick and efficient duct sealing services.
Leaky ducts can lead to a 30% increase in your heating bills as warmth rapidly escapes into places you can’t feel, so the system works harder.
Get this problem fixed so you know that all the warmth in your home is being felt by you and your family.
Contact Collier’s Comfort for True Comfort, True Savings.